How to Pick a Qualified Roofer near Fultondale Alabama
When your roof is leaking and you need a local roofing contractor in Fultondale AL, it is imperative that you find an experienced professional that is not only screened but licensed for your peace of mind and protection. The roofing service that you finally select should be able to handle any project that involves shingles, including repairing, applying water proof coatings, removing snow or installing a new roof. She or he should also be a specialist that works exclusively in the roofing trade as either a smaller one person shop with a crew or as part of a large construction company. But perhaps most important of all is to hire a roofing contractor that has developed an outstanding reputation for excellent workmanship at reasonable prices. And before work even begins, you must receive a written estimate with all of the specifics so that you will know how much the project costs before making your decision. That is how a professional company conducts business. So how do you find the best roofing company for your home? Let’s take a look at some of the important factors to consider before hiring a licensed contractor in your area.
Roof Installation, Inspection or Repair
The following list of roofing installation, maintenance and repair services are offered by the majority of Fultondale AL roofers. Since this is only a partial list it is not all inclusive of the services offered. If you are in need of a roofing service not listed below and would like a proposal from our featured vendor, please be sure to inquire with your quote request if that service is available in your area.
- Residential and Commercial Roofing
- New Roof Installation or Replacement
- Roof Inspection and Repair
- Leak Detection and Repair
- Maintenance and Cleaning
- Snow Removal
- Shingle Replacement
- Skylight Installation
- Water Proofing and Coatings
How to Hire a Roofing Contractor
Roofing is a trade or a profession that each State regulates and licenses. It requires experience and expertise and is generally not the type of work that should be entrusted to a “jack of all trades” or a handyman. So, if your roof has leak or it finally needs to be replaced, it is extremely important that you hire the services of a licensed Fultondale AL roofing contractor. Following are some of the critical steps that you should take before selecting a professional roofer for your repair or replacement job.
- Consult with a minimum of 3 Local Roofing Contractors. Speaking with at least three Fultondale AL roofers will give you a good idea of what the job entails and what it should cost. However, you should not make your decision based exclusively on the lowest bid. Be cautious of any excessively high or low quotes as well and ask the contractor why the extreme difference in cost. Also, work only with contractors that have an established local presence. Avoid “storm chasers” or door to door salesmen who claim they can get your insurance to pay for the whole job.
- Check Licensing and Credentials. Be sure to do your due diligence regarding any of the contractors that you are considering hiring. Professional and reputable Fultondale AL roofing companies will be licensed and insured for both your and their protection. They should also be willing to provide at least 3 references from past local customers, preferably providing photos of their finished work. Be sure to contact the references and ask if they have been completely satisfied with the work. Checking with your Alabama Attorney General for complaints filed, the Better Business Bureau or online review services are some of the other ways you can determine if they do excellent work.
- Get it all in Writing. Be sure to obtain and review your contract very carefully with the Fultondale AL roofing contractor present so that you can address any questions. If you are not clear regarding any of the terms, have a lawyer review it first before signing. Make sure that you completely understand the warranty and payment schedule. Finally, confirm that all services to be performed that are included in the contract are clearly detailed, including such things as the materials or shingles to be used, the hauling away the old shingles and the general clean up after the job.
- Verify Permits and Insurance. Before allowing any work to begin, make sure that any permits that are required are properly obtained and displayed. This is something that any professional Fultondale AL roofing contractor will be happy to take care of as part of their service under the contract. Also, make sure that the contractor’s employees are protected by Workers Compensation Insurance and that you and your home are both protected with Liability Insurance. You can request Certificates of Insurance that will provide proof that the coverages are in order. It is a good idea to also call the insurance provider to confirm that the policies have not lapsed. Finally, check with your own insurance company if the roof repair or replacement work is covered under your policy to ensure that all requirements have been satisfied and approval given before any work begins.
- Pay for Work as Completed. Do not pay for the entire roofing project in advance. If the contractor requires full immediate payment in the contract, don’t sign it. A “Good Faith” initial deposit combined with a payment schedule based on the work completed is a fairly common practice in Fultondale AL and is reasonable. Also, if possible pay with a credit card instead of with a check or cash. Most credit card vendors offer some form of purchase protection, which will make it easier in case of a dispute and can eliminate the need to go to court to recoup your investment.
Need a New Roof in Fultondale Alabama?
If you live in the Fultondale AL area and are in need of a good, reliable as well as affordable roofing contractor, following is some background information about your hometown that may be of interest.
This area was once known as Fulton Springs. Prior to the building of Interstate 65, US 31 was the main route for travelers northbound from Birmingham towards Nashville, Tennessee. As a result, hotels such as the Keystone Lodge and Buchmann Motor Inn prospered. On the city's southern edge was located one of the few drive-in theatres in the Birmingham area (the "Skyview"). This was torn down when I-65 was built in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The Pine Bowl bowling alley is still a long time fixture in the city.Traces of the old routing of US 31 are still noticeable in the city. From just south of the city hall to an old bridge on this city's northern side, most of this old routing is known as Stouts Road or in some cases simply "old US 31."
Fultondale was a relatively stagnant community until the last decade. Growth has occurred in residential areas mainly west of Interstate 65, while retail development has focused along and near the I-65/Walkers Chapel Road exit.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 12.2 square miles (32 km2), all land. Fultondale is located along one of the many ridgelines that comprise the southern end of the Appalachian Mountain chain. The area has been thoroughly mined for coal and other minerals in the past 100 years. The city is served by two major north/south highways, Interstate 65 and US Highway 31. The new Interstate 22 encroaches on the city's western edge and on June 20, 2016, the interchange with I-65 just south of Fultondale opened. I-22 will provide direct interstate access to Memphis, Tennessee. Upon completion of Interstate 22, Fultondale will become the fourth Alabama city (after Birmingham, Montgomery, and Mobile) to be directly served by more than one two-digit interstate highway (I-65 & I-22). The only east/west thoroughfare of note is Walkers Chapel Road (west of US 31) and New Castle Road (east of US 31). Rail lines run north/south along the city's eastern edge from Boyles Yard in Tarrant to points north and east. Air travel is available from nearby Birmingham International Airport.
Roof Inspection Services Fultondale AL
Finding the right local roofing contractor in your area is easy. Just request your free estimates from the preferred vendor on this website now. You originally came to our website because fo your interest in receiving more information regarding Roof Inspection Services. There is no obligation to receive free proposals from some of the top licensed roofers servicing your area. Experienced professionals are standing by waiting to compete for your business. So what are you waiting for? Find the right Fultondale AL roofer at the right price now!
More Roof Top Areas in Alabama